Thursday, December 9, 2010

Blu Ray, No Way

This is a tough one as I have to admit that I have never watched a movie on blu ray. However, I have to ask about the question of necessity. To do this, we will have to take a journey into my dvd collection. I happen to be a fan of watching relics from past generations. Older films, tv shows and cartoons are on my list of most frequently watched. In most cases, I have to ask the question; how necessary is it to see these things in state of the art perfection? A coked out George Carlin hosting the very first SNL will have his pant's color bleeding into the background no matter if it is in blu ray or not. I do not think I need to see the nose hairs clearly of Jerry Seinfeld when he asks his girlfriend to have a threesome with her roommate in a hilariously misguided attempted to switch girlfriends. Lastly, the charm of the the original mickey mouse and loony tune shorts or the satirical comedy of Life of Brian do not need the best quality picture.

What is important about works of art will always be the writing and the acting. Sure, the visuals do matter and maybe if I was more of an action adventure fan it would be necessary to go to blu ray. I do not think that not switching to blu ray makes me any less of a fan of my dvds. I have great pride in my collection (surly one of the best in New York State).

There is also something else going on here. It is about consumerism and exploitation. I own many dvds that I have previously owned on VHS. Now, I am expected to buy them again on blu ray? Will this ever end? Can I skip the blu ray revolution and just get on board for the next one? And is the quality worth these purchases truly? I have to stand up and say no! I am pretty sure, without seeing a blu ray dvd, that it is not.

One of the major things that makes life worth living is the ability to enjoy works of art. DVDs are no exception from this. In fact, they are a perfect example of this. However, I can enjoy it just as much on DVD than on Blu Ray, because one does not have to see the perfect picture to appreciate a perfect film.

No comments:

Post a Comment