Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Under "Weaknesses" you've put eczema

I am not going to hold any punches here. This is a very serious issue to me. Well let's start.

I am not going to take the easy argument and say that because the British office was the original and, therefore, better. There are plenty examples of remakes being superior to the original. The key differences between the American and British office are two fold, and my arguments will flow out of two sections. These two differences are profit vs art and the use of reality in each version.

Reality

The big difference between the British and American office is the humor. There is a difference in their use of reality. The British one is entrenched in reality. There are many episodes where one feels terribly bad for characters. The laughter does not always come out of silliness, but also comes out of empathy. It also comes out of recognition of the types of situations as ones which have occurred in real life. Everyone knows someone like Keith who just comes to work, does not try at all and just tries to get the day done with. Everyone knows the sometimes pathetic David Brent who just so desperately wants to be liked. Everyone knows someone like Tim who is clever, smart and stifled by a dead end job. Doc claimed that Brent is the only character of significance, but this is not true as these others, as well as many not mentioned, are just as important. The British office is truly a dramedy as most of its humor comes from character faults which are addressed in the show.

As Gervais has stated in interviews, this version of the office seemed to depressing to an American audience. The average American does not enjoy deep rooted satire. They come to their televisions to forget, not to analyze their life and find the humor in its banality. So, it had to be changed for mass appeal. Thus, we have more cartooney one dimensional characters as well as more large belly laughs about some incredibly implausible situations. Dwight is certainly no Gareth. Dwight is capable of things that not human being is capable of, such as locking someone up in a barn. His over the topness makes one able to see no one like this could exist, but it is still a funny thing to watch. Gareth on the other hand is a deluded character who does not understand how to act socially with others. His comedy comes from the fact that he is trying so hard for the audience to like him, but ultimately fails because he does not understand what is likable. No one cares about his faux military life or the fact that he is assistant to the regional manager. It is very funny that he thinks these things will impress people. Also, this is a true personality type that is found in real life that is very rarely seen on TV. All of this is true without even mentioning how the show exposes the hypocrisies and ridiculousness of working in an office.

Profit vs. Art

Yes, there are more episodes of the American office. However, there is a reason for this. In America, and sometimes in England, television shows are created for one reason, to make money. The British office was very popular and was ended after two seasons and two specials. This was because nothing else could have been done with the show. The story lines met their conclusions. However, the American office keep chugging along using the same formula over and over again. The need is to make a profit as opposed to achieve artistic endeavours and move on. Many other American shows have done this, including one which Doc and I often argue about, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

My post was not very funny and I think I missed an opportunity to explain just how hilarious the British office is. So, I will leave you with some quotes from my favorite episode and than one quote from the American office, purposely picked because it was not funny.

Dawn: He proposed on a Valentine's Day, although he didn't do it face to face, he did it in one of the little Valentine bits in the paper. I think he had to pay for it by the word, because it just said "Lee love Dawn, marriage?" which you know, I like, because it's not often you get to something that's both romantic and thrifty.

Rowan: Gareth, what's your ultimate fantasy?
Gareth: Two lesbians. Sisters, probably. I'm just watching.
Rowan: Okay.. umm, Tim?
Tim: I never thought I'd say this, but can I hear more from Gareth please?
And, possibly, the biggest laugh from this episode, while Brent was doing some role playing during training:
David: I'd like to make a complaint please.
Rowan: Don't care.
David: Well, I am staying in the hotel..
Rowan: Don't care, it's not my shift.
David: Well you're an ambassador for the hotel...
Rowan: I don't care what you think..
David: I think you'll care when I tell you what the complaint is...
Rowan: I don't care!
David: I think there's been a rape up there! See, I got his attention. Get. Their. Attention.

Really funny, right? Now, check this out:

Erin: Did you grow up around here?
Kevin: No.
Erin: So, you must have grown up around somewhere else?
Kevin: Yes.

Not so funny, right? Ok, I'll give you a picture that I know will make you smile:

No comments:

Post a Comment