Thursday, January 6, 2011

About Something; Or Why I Am Excited to Own The Complete Twilight Zone Series; Or Beating a Dead Horse


As our previous posts have been about how to judge films and television, I decided to a post to express my excitement toward watching all of the Twilight Zones and my lack of excitement for anything coming out that is new. These episodes normally fall into three categories. Ones which are specifically devoted to making its audience examine a moral question, ones which are specifically just "mindfucks," which are supposed to make one think differently or be surprised by it, and ones which are just very entertaining. It is this third one that strikes me as odd as I criticized Doc's choice of putting Jackass 3D among his best picture list. I do not think I can prove that this film is not entertaining. It must be; people watch it and people laugh.

So what is my problem? Is it that I am a snob and it is considered a lower form of entertainment to mostly watch people in physical pain and laugh? Possibly. However, I would like to submit another view. The idea of films or television shows being about something. Let's take a look at a Twilight Zone episode that fits into this third category. The episode entitled "The Man in the Bottle" is about a man who finds a genie in a bottle, makes some wishes, they all turn out bad (including one hilarious moment when he wishes to have power and ends up being Hitler). Essentially, I enjoy this episode because it is humorous to watch one man being tortured by having his wishes turn out bad. I am taking pleasure in his pain. Is there much difference between this and watching Jackass?

I am going to submit that there is a difference. Although I do believe that this could be argued further that there isn't. That difference is a division between a film or TV show being about something and being about nothing. Themes, questions and ideas that can be interestingly explored and the non-existence of this elsewhere. Indeed, the Twilight Zone episode described above is about something. Even thought its purpose is sheer entrainment, it has some ideas that are worthy of being explored. This, at least, being people who are trying desperately to change their life, when they should be happy in the moment without they have. Yes, this is a bit trite and, no, I will not walk away from this episode with a new lease on life. But, there is something that this is about.

I am very excited about watching all of the Twilight Zone episodes. For most of the episodes one does not have to make a stretch, as I did above, to show what they are about. They present challenging stories which can directly impact one's thinking about life in a sci-fi format. They also have some pulpy fun, such as the "To Serve Man" episode. Overall, they are fascinating testaments of a specific time and place and timeless lessons about the nature of man told in interesting and truthful ways. I have not seen many of these in a while, and some at all, so perhaps I will continue this post and examine specific episodes. However, and I am sure I am becoming redundant and boring at this point, they have to be better than beehive teetherball even though it came out in the late 1950s.

You know what? If this post was redundant I blame Doc. I think he should respond to my other post or just admit that I am right and suggest a new topic of discussion.

Suggested list of topics for Doc to change the subject quickly without having to admit he is wrong:

Best Twilight Zone Episode
Who has the best phone? Dos or Doc?
Best Care Bear
Best Smurf
Best Snork
Worst Job Possible
Best Sitcom
Best Sandwich
Vegetarianism vs Meat Eating
Dos's Best Feature
Whose entries are better Dos or Doc?
Should our blog be serious debates about art or silly arguments?
Who would win in a fight, Donald or Daffy Duck?
How come I can't get no tang around here?
Best specific simpson joke?
What is a better name, John Melancamp or John Cougar?
Best sketch Comedy show
Should Dos have ended this list by now?
Why do people sneeze differently?
Best muppet
Why do people drink tomato juice?
Best board game
Why is outdated slang so funny?
Best decade of pop culture

That last one is a good one, eh? I mean just because we live in the current decade does not mean that it has the best pop culture. Ugh, there I go again......

No comments:

Post a Comment