Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Crisis in 3184land

...and the posts rage on. It has been three days since Dos has changed his views on the film Inception and the blogosphere has been watching and praying for a peaceful end to this crisis. However the fact remains; Inception sucks.

Doc has referred to this crisis as "misguided man seeks attention by trying to argue something he doesn't understand or bother to give a fair shot to." I would like to refer to it as "Doc likes action movies and won't come to terms with the fact that they pretend to have meaning, but are in reality pretty shallow and believes that because a movie is popular that means it is good." The movie is number 8 on imdb because people are dumb and it goes by votes. Only an insane man would believe that Inception is a better film than Dr. Strangelove and Casablanca.

Yes Doc, Godfather II is a film about loss. I agree. It is a very different type of loss that you are trying to portray is in Inception, but about loss nonetheless. However, what you are wrong about is the amount of violence and action in Godfather II. I am willing to bet that less than 20 minutes of that film is violence and action. Godfather II is a mostly talking movie. The dialogue is amazing as is the suspense. The violence is, indeed, memorable, but there is no way that it makes up even half of the picture. The use of violence in Godfather II is to movie the story along. The use of violence in Inception is the point of inception. It is cool to see a fight with a room spinning around. I defy Doc to show me one moment in Godfather II with a long extended action scene and one that did not move the story along. That room was spinning for way to long to advance the plot.

I do value and enjoy the reviews of Mr. Ebert. However, this does not imply that I have to agree with everything he says. Here, I disagree with him. I would also like to point out that in the review he says that he liked the movie because it was different. I agree it was a different type of action film. However, in my mind that does not mean that the story is filled with meaning, which was my original complaint.

I also do not think that the movie makes one think. It does not allow me to elaborate on anything in my mind. What does the movie ask you to think about? How cool dreams are in action scenes? If that was Doc's point I agree with him. However, it does not make one think about anything but that.

I have no complaints about the film's score. I do not specifically remember it, but I am a fan of Hans Zimmer.

It is NOT clear that Inception is a great, smart movie. That is the argument. I started the debate because I was mad at myself for claiming it was good, and I now realize it isn't. I am merely trying to help Doc toward the same realization, or at least get him to the point where he admits that the film is rather meaningless. I did not want to talk about the film Everything is Illuminated, for the record. If I wanted to do so I would make a post about. I was just trying to find a movie about loss to illustrate my point. Doc has never heard of the film because he stays with those films that are on top of the box office records as opposed to finding more interesting and less popular films. The average American movie goer does not have good taste in films. I think Doc would agree with that, which is why I find it strange that he aligns himself with them. I have a good track record when recommending movies because I never claim that a movie will be the best one ever, only that a film that I recommend is fascinating and, hopefully, challenging, like all great works of art should be. If Doc wants to admit that he settles for non-challenging movies because he enjoys them, that is fine. You can e-mail him to help him feel okay with his conformist and average taste in movies at justoneofthesheep@gmail.com.

Doc, I have given you several ways out of this mess. Please admit something about your taste in movies or the film Inception itself and save us from more Inception posts. Good night, and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment