Thursday, April 15, 2010

Daddy, Teacher Says Everytime Someone Gets Their Driver's Liscence an Angel Gets Its' Wings

YOUR TEACHER IS FULL OF SNOT SON!
OMG was Rocko's Modern Life a great show. I laughed my ass off when I heard that line. I loved how it made fun of the cheesiness of Miracle on 34th Street. I knew that I liked funny cartoons in the 1990s, but what I did not know was that there was such a thing as biting satirical humor. My interest in the Simpsons (seasons 1-9 only) was still years away and Rocko was my first experience with a new kind of humor. Sure, Rugrats were cute, Ren and Stimpy were gross and Doug was, well, Doug was pretty damn boring, but Rocko gave me a way to laugh at this world in the same ways that I expect every comedy show to do so now.

When Rocko was sick, like most cartoons, he had lightning bolt pain lines coming out of his chest. The doctor told him that this was an easy fix. She went to the storage closet got some wavy relaxing lines and replaced the lightning bolts with them. Rocko went beyond the humor of a kids show. It was meta-comedy that made fun of popular culture and the annoying things that people do. Rocko may have started me on the path to be a jaded and constantly annoyed individual!

Again, Doug was boring.

Heffer, the Hilarius cow that was raised by wolves. Philbert the neurotic turtle brought us many classic lines. TURN THE PAGE, WASH YOUR HANDS! The Big-Heads had huge heads. That was their name! Get it?! Spunky kept eating everything. The driver's licence episode may have been my favorite. When everyone kept warning Rocko not to get the fat guy. I was warned something similar on the day of my road test. Then he thought he got the fat guy, but there was really an even fatter guy!

Skeeter was kinda cool, but Doug himself was very boring. Did he even have a personality? Describe him! Just try to describe his personality, you can't without using the word boring.

Rocko's Modern Life did what every great comedy show, never mind a kids cartoon, should do. It made fun of things that we experience in real life in a surreal and satirical manner. Meanwhile, Doug was boring. Very boring. Really really boring. That Bangin' on a Trash Can song was kinda cool and the killer tofu song. I can't lie about that. HAHA YOUR TEACHER IS FULL OF SNOT HAHA. Classic. Much more classic than boring old Doug.

2 comments:

  1. Doug is boring? Yeaok. You know, sometimes I think you just like to hear yourself talk, despite what nonsense you are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only nonsense here is the idea that Doug is better than Rocko.

    ReplyDelete