Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Fuel The Economy Through Insincere Emotion Day!


Yeah! It's Valentine's Day and it is still a stupid holiday. What does it say about our society that we have to take a day to prove that we love our loved ones? Plus, if your are forced to get a gift for someone because it is a holiday, that does not seem like a very sincere motive. However, it is fueling the economy and celebrating consumerism. So, to continue this commitment to insincerity and consumerism, I would like to talk about two movies (a 3184 blog post about movies...this is shocking and new) and how the way people talk about them are insincere.

Let's get rid of the one that Doc would agree with first. I just purchased the Social Network and feel like it is an excellent movie on many levels. However, I do not wish to praise the movie here. I want to talk about how people do not like it because it was highly praised and created by two famous and talented people. I have spoken to several people I know who dislike it because it was made by famous people. How does that even make sense? Fincher and Sorkin are clearly talented and I was quite impressed by their work. It is impossible to view the movie with out knowing about the people who created it, but I would like to think that I would still enjoy it if I did not this fact. It was really a fascinating, smart and entertaining film.

Now, on to opening a fight with Doc. Inception. I sat through this movie. I was rather unmoved by it, but felt the need to say it was good. However, I could never explain why it was good. I thought the story was empty, the effects were decent and the characters were terrible. Yet, I kept saying to everyone how it was good, even thought I usually do not go for movies with big special effects. Then I read an e-mail from someone who distilled my exact reaction to the movie. I am no longer walking around claiming that it was a good movie. It wasn't. It was a bad movie and here is the e-mail;

"Inception: Real or fake? Dream or reality? Dream or dream-within-a-dream? What does it all mean? None of it matters when you're too bored to care. My memory of this film is a hazy, incoherent jumble of natural disasters, men in suits, the Leo scowl ®, and poor Juno hurtling through a post-partum no-man's-land somewhere between fantasy and a Cisco commercial. If there's one thing Americans enjoy more than an idiotic action movie, it's an idiotic action movie freighted with ponderous dialogue and laced with a self-congratulatory patina of faux-philosophical depth."

It's true! It is all rather meaningless! I am not even annoyed at the dream concept. I like the whole idea of going into someone else's dream. It is what the writer and director does with the concept. He takes it nowhere. It explodes into pointless action scenes. Why was that guy in a fortress in the dream? It made no sense! It was about nothing. I defy Doc to tell me what that movie was saying about anything. And that ending is a perfect example of how much I hate that movie. Yes, the top kept spinning. However, it was clear from the rest of the movie that the ending was not a dream. If it was a dream the movie would make no sense. Yet, people walk away from that film talking about the amazing ending and how meaningful it was. It was not meaningful it was falsely dramatic and made little sense. It was all just an excuse to show some cool action scenes but make the audience feel like it meant something. The actions scenes were creative at times. However, a movie needs substance over visual effects. The effects fall flat when they have no meaning. More like crapcetption.

I would like to thank the fellow who wrote me the e-mail for saving me from peer pressure. I take it all back, inception was not a good movie. Doc, I would love a rebuttal from you.

Remember that simpsons episode about love day? Well, it gave me my favorite image of Valentine's Day. The Simpsons buy a lot of crap when the card companies create a second yearly Valentine's Day called love day. When the celebrations are over Homer is trying stuff a teddy bear called Sir Huggington in the trash with a lot of other love day garbage. The bear is constantly saying "i wuv you" as Homer tries to fit all of the trash in the garbage. This hilariously illustrates the lack of sentiment that Valentine's Day brings. It is also a perfect metaphor for Inception. Allow me to explain as simply as I can, the teddy bear was ultimately trash, just like Inception is ultimately garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment