Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I got to ask you. If every time Snotboogie would grab the money and run away, why'd you even let him in the game?

So something funny happened to me today. Okay, not really. I just wanted to start on that note. I was on the train heading home from work, and when they started to check for tickets, one individual refused to show his ticket because the train did not leave on time. The other passengers, including myself, began to curse at this individual and say what a silly asshole he was. I began to think further about the situation, and in retrospect, I think this guy was wise to stand up to the shitty train service we have to deal with daily.

If I pay the same amount for a ticket as another individual, is it fair if he gets a seat and I do not? If the trains aren't running on time, causing lateness, is it fair that I am not in some way comped? The bottom line is this: trains have a monopoly. There is no way around it. It's not like there is another train running parallel to it offering different rates. We are stuck with what is being offered and have no alternative. Driving is not an option for longer trips taking into effect traffic and gas prices. Flying would just be silly. So we are just left with the train. That's it.

There are no solutions to this problem. If you want/have to ride the train, you are stuck with what there is. Unless some company decides to build a track right next to the current one, you have no choice. There are different airlines, buses, cabs. But trains... nada. I am surprised I have never heard anyone argue about this before. Or perhaps I am reaching new areas with what will enrage me?

No comments:

Post a Comment